Pneumonia, Adherence, and HIV


So about 2 months ago I went off of my HIV meds.  I had a lapse in insurance coverage and when my coverage was active I simply did not find the time to sit down and get on the phone to get my Stribild prescription moved over to the new specialty pharmacy.  Sadly, it takes a lot of phone calls to get started with a new insurance or pharmacy provider.  Most insurances will not let you pick up your HIV meds at your local CVS or Walgreens; the insurance companies prefer you to go through multiple layers of red tape to obtain your prescription.  I work full-time and, at the time, was in school full-time as well.  I was in school or at work from 8 AM until 8 PM Monday through Friday.  Long story short, I did not make the time to prioritize my health.

About 3 weeks ago I began to get sick.  It started as a sneeze, a sore throat, and fatigue.  I chalked it up to bad allergies or a cold and figured I was fatigued because of the heavy school/work load I was carrying, not to mention staying up late to study.  Six weeks of this grueling schedule and nights of 4-hour sleep took a heavy toll on me. 

My solution?  Keep going, push harder, do what I had to do to meet my commitments.  Well...I kept going until I couldn't go anymore. 

The fatigue was overwhelming, the sickness was worse, I was having trouble breathing.  Two weeks ago I finished my shift at work and was walking to the bus stop when my lungs began to rattle.   I sounded like I had gravel in my lungs and I was dizzy and congested so bad.  I had been throwing up for several days from the intense coughing and from drowning on all the fluid in lungs.  So, as I was walking to the bus stop to go home, I instead walked down the street and into the ER. 

They ran a bunch of tests and turns out I had pneumonia.  Pneumonia was never on my radar because I have had both sets of pneumonia vaccinations.  (Side Note...never try to diagnose yourself).  I was so dehydrated that my veins had collapsed; they had great difficulty in getting an IV into me.  I was in really bad shape.  The doctor was concerned too because I had been off my HIV meds for so long, so there was the fear that is was pneumocystis pneumonia.  Thankfully, it turned out to be the run-of-the-mill pneumonia, which was bad enough I guess.  They prescribed my an inhaler, antibiotics, and pills to stop my coughing.  I took that next day, Friday, off from work and spent the next 3 days in bed.  Ahh...but that was not the end of the hell.

I developed thrush.  It has by far been the most painful and excruciating part of all of this.  Granted, the pneumonia was bad enough; I had never been as sick before.  But the thrush was hellish.  I could not speak, could not eat, it hurt to drink.  The slightest movement of my tongue caused the worst pain I have felt since I had my wisdom teeth out years ago.  Anyway, the thrush is almost gone.  I still have a gravely voice and some pain but I am eating solid food again.  I am about to start my 2nd bottle of Nystatin. 

What is the big lesson from this?  Well, there are several.  One, I simply have to make time to get my meds.  I have had lapses in insurance before but had no ill health effects, so I did not think anything terrible would happen this time either.  But I was wrong.  I had already damaged my immune system from my hectic lifestyle, so my body was simply not equipped to deal with anything else.  Two, I know now not to diagnose myself or be flippant about being sick.  My old "oh, it's just bad allergies" lie no longer works for me.  Three, I have learned how crucial it is to remain on my HIV meds.  I have realized that the time between being off my meds to death is probably around 2 months.  I am not sure that knowledge is good for someone who sometimes thinks about dying.  That knowledge kind of gives me an easy out, should I ever go there. 

This illness has me questioning lots of things.  I have no idea how I will earn enough money for school next semester.  I have no idea how I can keep up another grueling schedule next semester.  I am not sure yet what I will do or how to resolve my fear.  It seems like my life is always a series of calamities that require me to drastically change how I do things.  I am not happy with change, so all of it is stressing me out a bit.  One day at a time I guess. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Stigma Means To Me

Hello, Again!

What Domestic Violence Did To Me