Vaccinations, and Needles, and HIV, Oh my!
So today I went to the doctor's office to get my pneumonia and flu vaccinations. She gave me a shot in each arm. It didn't hurt at all when she gave them to me, not like I was expecting it to. I always fear needles and I hate getting shots, but each time is never as bad as I feared.
The pneumonia vaccination she gave me was called Prevnar 13 (www.prevnar13.com) is a newer vaccine, one which guards against 13 different strains of pneumonia. People with HIV are at much higher risk of pneumonia infections (not just PCP) so we must get this vaccination to guard against this risk. What is additionally scary is that 70% of healthy adults carry the S pneumoniae bacteria at any given time. Also, over 302,000 adults over the age of 50 are hospitalized each year for pneumonia. Concurrently, we are seeing higher numbers of people over 50 contract HIV (because the ones who have always had HIV get older and also because of a rise in infections in people over 50), this is certainly an alarming number.
I myself am lucky enough to have a high T-cell count and my HIV viral load (the amount of virus floating around in my blood) is undetectible, so my risk is not that much more than an HIV- person. But I know many people who fight day in and day out to get their T-cells up, so the risk is very real and always present for them.
And now I am feeling sickly and very sore all over. The vaccination can cause muscle weakness, fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain, headache, chills, and fever. Thankfully thus far I just feel weak and sore, much like one would feel after a tough workout, so I am sure I will be fine in a few days.
I highly encourage anyone with HIV to get the vaccine as well as anyone over the age of 50. It only requires one shot, so once you get it you are good for years to come. I believe that many pharmacies also provide the vaccination as well, so that should be a bit easier than going to the doctor's office. I already had a follow-up appointment scheduled, but I also like having it done at the doctor's office so my vaccination records are in one place.
Anyway, I am rambling now, so I suppose I am winding down. Goodnight.
Comments
Post a Comment