The Downward Spiral of No Meds Begins

I am starting to feel the effects of being off meds.

Before I started on meds back in 2009, HIV presented itself to me in a myriad of skin issues.  Of course I had the typical fatigue and exhaustion, but mostly I had skin issues - boils, MRSA infections, pimples that turned into boils.  It was to such a degree that I never wanted to go out in public.  I had to work to live, so I did go out in public, but only to work.  I never wanted to be social because I felt so uncomfortable and disfigured.

Once I went on meds these issues cleared up in their own.  I had previously been on at least 30 rounds of various antibiotics in order to combat my skin dillemas.  I would take a round of antibiotics, usually Bactrim, and my MRSA/etc would go away for 2-3 weeks.  Just when I thought it was gone for good, it would come back like a bad ex boyfriend.

Now...I have had two skin eruptions this week, both of which feel like a big scarlet HIV on my face and neck.  They are such that topical solutions are not effective.  So, I guess I need to call my doctor to go on another round of Bactrim.  Having these two skin issues makes me feel nervous that my T-cells are plummeting, which I am sure the worry over it only is exacerbating the issue, like a horrid catch-22.

And today for the first time, I feel absolutely bone weary.  I feel an exhaustion that I have not felt since before meds.  I am weak and could just collapse, at least that is what it feels like.  Stubbornness is really the only thing that keeps me going today.  I will not let my symptoms define me like I used to do.  I feel them, I am affected by them, but they do not make the decisions for me.  

I really thought it would take longer for my health to degrade.  It has only been 3 weeks or so and already things are happening inside and outside of me.  But, on the plus side I have not had any nausea since being off my meds.  Stribild has always given me a low-grade intermittent yet daily nausea.  I wonder if I should go back on Truvada/Isentress when I go back on meds?  Though, then I would have to worry over two copayments instead of one.  I guess it all depends on what insurance I end up on and how Ryan White will impact my out-of-pocket meds cost.  

But that is a worry for another today.  Today I will try my best to take care of myself, listen to my body and get the rest I need.  I have a tendency to stay “on” all the time, which in itself is exhausting for an introvert like me.  Now it is time for me to turn off.  

Goodnight.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Stigma Means To Me

Hello, Again!

What Domestic Violence Did To Me